Tuesday, October 7, 2008

i do

Portia, one of my good friends back in my EPCI days, is getting married on December! When I heard about the news, I wasn’t surprised at all. She asked me to be her bridesmaid. Being the good friend that I am, I obliged. I have attended quite a number of weddings in my lifetime – some of whom are my friends, some of my relatives, some of people I don’t personally know but we had to do anyway as part of our job as a wedding planner.

A lot of times, I cringe to the thought that I have to grace another whimsical event. No, hindi ako bitter nor naiinggit. I just hate the calling-all-single-ladies-the bride-is-now-throwing-the-bouquet bullshit. Ack! I think I’ve caught the bouquet too many times already and yet walang nangyayari (I repeat, hindi ako bitter!!!). ;-)

But why do I still drag my lazy ass to be present in these weddings?

Simple.

I want to celebrate love!

It’s really “magic” how two people end up together inspite of all the heartaches and challenges that the relationship has brought the couple. Yes, they may be in love, but it’s too strong a concept to put it into action, bear with, let alone fight for. I know one couple who’s been in a relationship for quite a while. Boy leaves girl to work some place else, they can’t bear the distance. Yet, their commitment to stay together and fight for the relationship until they were brought together again and make people bear witness to their great love. They are now happily married for 4 years and are blessed with a beautiful baby girl.

I also know one couple who didn’t like each other first. The girl thought the guy wasn’t attractive enough based on her standards. When the guy proved that he was worthy of her love, she had nothing else to do but to fall for him. In front of hundreds of people on their wedding day, she professed her undying love to her husband and that she was proud to be his wife. I tell you, not a dry eye in the room!

Portia & Pap’s story is a bit strange. They met during one of their CPA board reviews (I think) and the rest, as they say, is history. They were together for quite some time, until they had to part ways. Then one fine day, Portia and I met. I remember the days when we would lock ourselves in one of the private washrooms in the office and she would cry her eyes out to me. She felt that no amount of “getting over” and “moving on” will ever make her forget Paps. Well, had things not gone well between them, she was longing for “closure” to say the least. I remember vividly how much coaxing and how much I dared her to go to the guy’s place to speak to him. Off she went that same weekend!

Then she met Coy.

I thought she was finally, finally, finally over Paps (by the way, he’s bad news to me, hehehe)! Wrong!!! She ended what she had with Coy and came running back to the old one. She could never be happier!

Well, my point is, sa hinaba-haba man ng prusisyon, sa kasal pa rin mauuwi ang lahat.

At least she got what she wanted.

Keeping a grudge against someone who made my good friend countless times leaves a bad taste in the mouth. At least I can say now she’s totally happy and there’s no erasing of smile in her face anymore. I’m just so happy that she’s happy, fulfilled and satisfied. I just hope he doesn’t let her down anymore. Sure, they will experience innumerable arguments, disagreements and there will come a time when the next best thing to do is give up, but I know that once in their short life they have found one great love… and they’re sealing the deal on December 27, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment